Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yvain ( Day 1)

1.)  I thought there was a prologue. It wasn't as deep as the proverb from 'Erec and Enide' but I assumed it existed. It occurs in the first paragraph when Chretien tells the reader of how chivalry is dead. I thought this meant Yvain would prove himself chivalrous and marry Laudine, to oppose the stereotype Chretien has about love in this story.

2.) The oddest thing in the story (to me) was the storm that was created and how it brought so much chaos that a knight had to come to stop and punish him. I took the storm as a warning before it was summoned. Nothing good comes of something so powerful (especially in a story like this) and so I thought the knight was justified in attacking Calorgrenant and fair in not killing him. It felt like the sparing of his life meant less bloodshed for the rest of the story.

3.) Yvain is definitely the reason for the beginning part of the story that I took as the prologue. When he say's, "... for I am destined to be in her power from this time on since Love wishes it.", Yvain is trying to convince himself that although he may be a hurtful person in God's eyes, through the eyes of Love, he is very deserving to whomever he desires. Love, being capitalized to show that it has taken a place similar to God. I believe Chretien plans to show that with chivalry, Yvain can win the heart of the woman he loves, Laudine, thus proving that he is a chivalrous character, worthy of being given love.

No comments:

Post a Comment